AT THE HOTEL JULIEN DUBUQUE
It Began as the Waples House
Since 1839, a hotel or inn has occupied the corner of Second and
Main — the present site of the Hotel Julien Dubuque. The original structure, four stories high, was called the Waples
House and was named after its owner, Peter Waples, a wealthy Dubuque merchant. It was the first building visible to the
travelers entering Dubuque from across the Mississippi. The Waples House was furnished extravagantly and was known far and wide for its gourmet cuisine.
(click here to read the full story)